Wednesday, 5 March 2014

One Picture, Three Stories #3 {Blog Link-up}


Welcome to One Picture, Three Stories!  This is a monthly link-up where we share one picture and tell three stories about it. Unraveling the many layers in a single captured moment is a great way to train your brain to look at things from multiple angles. I'd love for you to join me and add your link below. It's a great way to make friends around the world and to challenge your creativity! 

Story #1:  This weekend we decided to escape the city and head to the seaside. On our way, driving out of Cape Town, the traffic slowed to a stand-still. Smoke billowed from the fields and bushes beside the road.  The acrid clouds crowded onto the highway. As we neared the blaze, the smoke was so intense we could barely see more than a few feet in front of us. We drove carefully, hazard lights blinking. Even with the air conditioning on full power, the smell of scorched earth filled the car. 

And then, just as suddenly as we entered the smoke, the sky was clear again. We had passed through the "trial by fire" and continued on our quest for fun and sun. 

Story #2: The smoke obscuring the road made me think about how we all are moving forwards into the unknown. We all have visions and plans for our lives, but none of us can foresee what will happen from one moment to the next. None of us really know where we are going (or why).  And maybe that's ok. Maybe the unknowns are all part of the journey... 

Story #3: I was looking over the photograph, trying to figure out what to say for the third story when I saw the shape of a face emerging from the cloud of smoke!  Can you see it?  In the bottom right section of the clouds. Now that I've seen him I can't see anything else when I look at the photo. 



I want to thank everyone who participated last month!  I was so excited to look at your pictures and read your stories.  I can't wait to read all your submissions this month.  I'll be featuring two or three again next month, so make sure to post your link below.  



Rosie shared this energetic photograph of her niece, and mused about how children throw themselves into life with joyful and trusting abandonment.  This photo encapsulates all the pure hope and joy of being alive. Read all about it here! 



Van Nguyen told a poignant tale about her parent's marriage in Vietnam, and now shortly after their wedding day her father was sent to a prison camp for 8 years. Can you imagine the courage that must have taken? Read all about it here! 


The Rambling Introvert contemplates how this antique photo came into her possession (her grandmother loved it), and what the mysterious history of this man might be.  Right now it holds pride of place on her mantlepiece in Texas! Read all about it here!




I'd love for you to join me in sharing "one picture with three stories."  The stories can be factual or fictional, they can be inspiring, funny, educational, or entertaining. They can be one sentence long, or much, much longer.  The pictures can be photographs or sketches, or whatever tickles your fancy.

Give us a glimpse into your home, your town, your world, your past, your present. Nothing is too simple to feature in One Picture, Three Stories.  

The whole idea is that each picture has many layers of meaning. So show us all your layers! 

Follow the link-up on Twitter using hashtag #1picture3stories. 

You can see past examples HERE


One Link-up, Three Guidelines: 

1.  This will be a monthly link-up, so you have plenty of time between now and next month to add your link.  

2. I'll choose three participants to feature on my blog each month.  In order to be eligible for selection you have to link your "one picture, three stories" link-up post back to my blog in some way. 

3. Make sure you visit other linked blogs to read their stories, you might make new friends all over the world! Don't forget to leave a friendly comment to show your appreciation.  


Note: If you're reading in email or a feed reader, in order to see the link-up entry form, you'll probably have to click through to this blog post.  And, if the form doesn't work, please leave your link in the comments below. 



11 comments:

  1. Hi Jane! Just found your blog through Cider with Rosie, and I love it! I especially like this idea of "one picture, three stories" - very unique and thought-provoking! I'd love to join in on the fun! This would also challenge me to get a bit more creative and to get OUT with my camera on-hand :) xx from Switzerland!
    www.lipsticksandchocolates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feature. I like your new picture on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog today through other blogger's blogrolls - my way of finding new blogs. I think 'one picture, three stories' is a great meme. I'll be joining in as soon as I can find a photo and write my stories.

    hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s., in your photo, I see the face of the dog creature from 'neverending story' movies - it's always interesting what people sees in clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I seriously love this idea. I need to bookmark your blog so I can get on board for the April one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, you shared my entry. How awesome and fun! Thank You.

    This really is one of the better link-ups on the internet. It's just so creative, and like Michelle K said... it's thought provoking. I also love that it's on a monthly basis. It gives everyone enough time to choose a photo to share, and then really think about it.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. just want to say thanks for the inspiration for writing these stories. have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fantastic idea! Thank-you for the much needed inspiration for this weeks post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess it's true what they say - a picture really does tell a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there! A random google search landed me on your page. I love the idea of one picture, three stories and am working on mine to link up soon. I see your face. The way I see him, he has two front teeth and a top hat. I look forward to following your blog and linking up each month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did a second one but forgot about it, so I just added the link. it would be nice if this is a bi-weekly instead of a monthy.

    hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day bright with sunshine. I try to respond to each comment on your own blogs. Who knows I might make a few new friends along the way! X Jane