Friday, 14 February 2014

Swooning in the Cape Town heat {a little animation}






{Swoon!}

It's summer in Cape Town, and it's so hot. So, so, so hot.

The noon gun has just fired (as it does every day). The air is so still that the reverberations from the blast have shaken the frangipani flowers from their branches, and now they're wafting down in front of my window. Across the street someone is playing sultry saxophone.

If I slouch in my chair (as I often do), I can see the top of Table Mountain peeking above the roof of our house.  It's shimmering in the heat today.

It's so hot that I think the paint is melting on my palette before I can even get my brush into it.

The heat always brings out the diva in my characters; they always seem to have minds of their own. This little girl was frustrated that I wasn't paying enough attention to her heat-induced swoon, so now she's swooning over and over and over again.  Ad infinitum.  

The grass is always greener on the other side isn't it?  I envy all you readers who are cozily cocooned in  winter.  Oh!  For the snow and the hot chocolates and the great big fuzzy scarves.  Enjoy it while you can!

{Note #1: I posted this little girl last year, but as I have so many new followers, I thought some of you might enjoy seeing her brought back to life)

{Note #2:  I'm not sure if the animated illustration works for email subscribers, so you might want to click through to the blog to see it.}

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! How CUTE is she?! Thanks for the cuteness on this side of the world:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy how hot it is over there - it's FREEZING over here! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post darling!
    Do you wanna follow each other?
    Kisses,

    zabawa-moda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm in love with your illustrations. and while i don't often visibly swoon, i'd like to try doing it more. it's very dramatic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. heehee!! I'm missing the kind of heat that makes you feel like you are literally melting into a puddle. I was made to be a summer girl, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this animation is so funny and cute!
    hope the heat gets more bearable

    xo, Brikena
    www.jarofjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGOSH your animation is ADORABLE!! are you the artist behind the artwork?? if so you are so talented.. that girl is so cute i love it!!

    www.lisalovescoco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. This cartoon is super cute
    2. Please send some of that warm Cape Town weather up here. It's supposed to snow tomorrow in NYC :(

    Let’s stay in touch with Bloglovin

    - Gita
    mimiandchichi.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is just wonderful. I can't wait to see even more of your adorable illustrations! You're incredibly talented, and I love the adventure/travel element of the blog as well.

    Imogen // imogenscribbles

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day bright with sunshine. I try to respond to each comment on your own blogs. Who knows I might make a few new friends along the way! X Jane